Friday, July 12, 2013

The Kolden Report: 90th Wild Horse Stampede, July 12, 2013

Hello, kids!
 
It is Stampede weekend here in Wolf Point.  40 years ago, my 10 year old self was about to win "Best Junior Couple", alongside my trusted partner in crime and best friend Doug , in the Wolf Point Wild Horse Stampede Parade. 
 
Back then, we were celebrating the "Golden" stampede, 50 years of rodeo.  It was a VERY big deal and how we talked our folks into letting us ride in the parade is beyond me.  But....we did.  We had on matching red shirts with white ruffles that my Gramma Thale sewed for us, new blue jeans, boots and white straw hats.   (Poor Doug was NOT pleased about the white ruffles on the shirts but after some pleading he relented.)   Doug rode his black Shetland, Jet who rubbed you into anything and everything he could get near and I rode Dixie, a black Appaloosa mix with a stubborn streak and a penchant for dog food and drinking from the garden hose.  I'm sure we were a sight, two hicks from the sticks and all. 
 
In order to win "Best Junior Couple", you had to ride all three days in the parade and the final day of the rodeo, the winners galloped into the arena, trophies in hand, for all to see.  I can still remember the thrilling ride we made into the arena, in front of the crowd.  Funny part is, I worried more about my horse crow hopping or refusing to run, than the crowd who had gathered to watch the Grand Daddy of rodeo. 
 
Pictures of Doug and I were taken and I had my framed photo and trophy for many years.   Today, I find myself wishing for that photo to share with you.  Instead, memories will have to do! 
 
For those of you within striking distance, why not come to Wolf Point tomorrow to see the parade or take in the rodeo and make some memories of your own!  I don't want to spoil the show for you but I WILL say that "Percheron Thunder" is well worth the price of admission.
 
Speaking of photos, stop by Art in the Park tomorrow from 10-5pm.  I have some new pieces and a good selection of art cards for your shopping pleasure.  Sign up to win!
 
Here's a sneak peek of what you might see at the Wild Horse Stampede:
 

 
Happy Trails!
 
**************************************************************************************************
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.  - Henry David Thoreau
**************************************************************************************************
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment