Monday, May 21, 2012

Wrong side of the tracks, Oswego style...

Hi, kids!
 
We spent some time where I grew up, around Oswego, Montana. 
 
 
Prairie Elk Point, after the floods.  Some real estate has gone downstream!
 
 
Lift off.
 
Prayer cloth.  (If you see these in the trees, leave them as you found them.)
 
 
 
 
Finch form.
 
 
Diamond willow, dinner for porcupines.
 
 
Lone yellow floret.
 
 
Missouri River looking east, toward Prairie Elk Creek/Prairie Elk Point
 
 
Love the reflections!

 
 
"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!"
 
 
Parking lot.
 
 
Top hat.
 
 
Curves.
 
 
Spare pair.
 
Black bird mating ritual.  Much posturing went on.  Bowing and stretching necks long....the "dance hall" is a tractor cab.
 
 
The old elevator beckoned. 
 
 
 
 
After shooting it from the north, I HAD to cross the tracks to get a better view.
 
 
My presence irritated the pigeons.
 
 
 
 
Paint, from back in the day.  My Mother remembers Jess Smith and Lucy Tyner, brother and sister who procured items for others - such as these steel beams used in building the elevator.  Each beam is marked identically.
 
 
Slated for demo?
 
 
And then the train came! 
 
 
The bigger picture.
 
 
 
The train came to stop on the siding.  I realized that I now had LOTS of time to take photos as Jim was on the north side of the tracks and I was on the south, with the train between.
 
 
Whitey, so close and yet so far away.  And no, I did NOT consider climbing under or over the train to get to the other side. 
 
 
Finally, the tracks cleared.
 
 
I like this one...the rear of the train, the crossing lights and the Oswego sign....
 
 
 
 
Buck's Bar.  Night spot from days gone by...
 
 
Pipe stacked along highway 2.  This is the rural water line, waiting to happen.
 
Coming soon:  The Kolden Report:  OH, Canada!
 
 
"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key."

Lyrics from Already Gone, peformed by the Eagles for their 1974 On the Border album
 
www.kittykolden.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment