Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Kolden Report: Montana Back Roads, Part Six, Walk down memory lane. November 15, 2013

Hello, kids!

  Thank you to those who have served this country and thanks to their families - all have sacrificed so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms afforded all.  Think about giving back.  Here is one way to do so - send a card to a soldier: http://www.redcross.org/support/get-involved/holiday-mail-for-heroes

And now, back to the report!





Stormy skies.







Creek side camping.






The big picture.







The "easy" way out.




Bear box.  Gives on pause for thought...





Fine print.  (Who knew shampoo was tasty?)







Not to be confused with a dumpster.....?!?!





Busy beavers.

Next stop, Augusta, Montana.  I lived in and worked out of Augusta back in the day and Jim had hunted the area.  Nothing like a walk down memory lane!







Rocky Mountain "high".    (To give you perspective, see three horses on the right?)





There's snow in them thar' hills!



And....at Beaver Basin.




"The wind blows cold, on the backs of the dinosaur."  This saying was heavily used in the oilfield by those I lived and worked with during those years.  As I stared up at the rugged Rocky Mountain ridge tops.... icy winds blowing snow about them, I remembered those words and the actions of many helicopter pilots who never, ever left me on the mountain overnight...toeing in on an insanely steep slope in high winds, chopping a few tree branches with rotor blades during descent,  risking everything just to get me to safety.

  Since one of my  jobs was to compass line, I was alone all day- no radio, no gun, no knife, nothing metal.  Just me, the mountain and a  mirror for signalling my position at the end of the day to approaching pilots, whose job it was to land (or toe in), load me up and haul me to safety.  In my youth, I thought nothing of it....of any of it.   Not the dynamite,  not even about the bears that the rangers educated us about that would tear our equipment up at night.  Now, I am thankful.  SO very thankful to each and every pilot that risked his life for mine, every day...day after day after year after year....to haul me to safety.   To these amazing humans, thank you and may your days be blessed. 

Looking back....it is a wonder....a marvel.....a MIRACLE, that I am still here on this earth particularly when there were SO many chances for me not to be.  I am truly blessed.

More to come, stay tuned!

******************************************************************************************************************************************

"The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best." - Epictetus

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
www.kittykolden.com
www.thekoldenreport.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment